SIMPSON GUMPERTZ & HEGER 60TH ANNIVERSARY SCHOLARSHIP
**Applications have closed for this year**
To Prospective Applicants:
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc. (SGH) established this scholarship, in celebration of the firm’s 60th anniversary, to encourage undergraduate college students who strive for excellence in all aspects of their lives, including their engineering studies.
Our founders established a corporate culture built on passion, continuous learning, and excellence. Regardless of position and role, everyone at SGH is both a learner and a teacher. This shared teaching−learning partnership guides a continual journey of professional and personal development so that employees achieve rewarding careers that advance and improve themselves, our firm, our profession, and society. We hire people who live with passion, honesty, integrity, and ethics. We, individually and collectively, aspire to excellence.
Our corporate vision articulates our drive: “An inspiring work environment where the best staff in the industry collaborate to do the best work in the world.”
We wish to grant this award to an individual at the University of California, San Diego who embodies the culture and values established sixty years ago by our founders.
What is the SGH 60th Scholarship?
The award includes two parts:
1. Financial Award: SGH will award $10,000 for tuition reimbursement (undergraduate or graduate studies). The recipient must remain an undergraduate civil engineering, structural engineering, or architectural engineering major student in good academic standing (as determined by the university).
2. Internship: A paid internship at an SGH office during a semester or summer of the recipient’s choice. SGH is a national engineering firm with offices in Boston, New York, Washington D.C., Chicago, Houston, the San Francisco Bay Area, and Southern California.
Who May Apply?
All undergraduate−level civil engineering, structural engineering, or architectural engineering majors who (1) are in their third year of study, (2) intend to continue engineering study for the 2016−2017 academic year, and (3) are in good academic standing are encouraged to apply for this award.
How to Apply
Students applying for the scholarship are asked to submit the following:
● A cover letter introducing the applicant and summarizing their qualifications and experience.
● A resume demonstrating the applicant’s academic record, work experience, extracurricular activity participation and leadership, and other personal items of interest.
● A one−page essay on the following topic: Discuss how your academic pursuits and professional ambitions align with the culture and values of SGH.
● Four letters of reference with at least one from each category:
● Professors of engineering studies.
● Professional letters of reference.
● Personal letters of reference.
● Send all letters in sealed and signed envelopes with the application package or directly to the address below.
● Official college and/or university transcript(s). Electronic transcripts are acceptable.
* If the applicant does not have professional experience, two reference letters from professors and two personal references would satisfy this requirement.
We will select the winner of the award based on the following criteria:
● Professional presentation in the cover letter and resume.
● Academic achievement.
● Ideas expressed and communication skills demonstrated in the one−page essay.
● Reference letters.
● A video (Skype) interview with members of the 60th Scholarship Committee, for applicants short−listed in the first round.
Send Applications to:
SGH 60th Scholarship c/o Human Resources
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc. 41 Seyon Street
Building 1, Suite 500
Waltham, MA 02453
Applicants can submit materials by hard copy to the address above or by e−mail (PDF Format) to _HR@sgh. com with the subject “SGH Scholarship.”Applications must be received by 5:30 p.m. on 31 December 2017. Applications will not be returned.
Contact Stella Mereves-Carolan at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
PATHWAYS INTERNSHIP PROGRAM