Professional Licensing

All students are encouraged to take the Engineering-in-Training (EIT) examination as the first step in becoming licensed as a professional engineer (PE).

Students graduating from an accredited program with a BS degree (no post-graduate degree) and EIT certification can take the PE examination after 2 years of work experience.

Students graduating from non-accredited programs with a BS degree (no post-graduate degree) and EIT certification can take the PE examination after 4 years of work experience.

Post-graduate degrees (MS, PhD) reduce the number of work experience years even further.

The website below is the State of California EIT/PE website.